Friday, February 7, 2014

Sweetiepig

Some days it is easy to write.  The words pour out of me quite easily.  Other days, I sit here and stare at the blank, white page as it asks me why nothing is being written.  Today is one of those days where I look at the page and have nothing to really say. 

It was not a bad day, in fact, it was a good day, since I get to spend another two weeks with Sweetiepig, who is by far my favorite animal in the world.  There is no greater joy to me than opening the door and seeing Sweetiepig tentatively creep out of her little castle.  Once she does that, I call to her and she starts to squeak, since she knows the door opening and my voice will lead to treats.  She accompanies her squeaks by trying to scramble up the front right of her cage.  Fortunately, guinea pigs are many great things, but agile climber is not one of them.  This is especially important, because Sweetiepig has an open cage and can sniff over the top. 

I always make sure the first thing I do when I get home is get Sweetiepig a treat.  It's an important part of our day and I suspect it makes her as happy as a rodent can be.  I don't know if she per se loves me, but it feels that way to me and in my worldview, that matters far more than the full emotional capacity of a rodent who brings me joy. 

Growing up, I never had a pet.  Well, I had a few goldfish who seldom lived to see the day of the week twice.  Actually, none of them ever lived that long, which was sad.  So, I spent most of my life without the companionship of an animal.  But about two years ago, Sweetiepig was adopted.  It was definitely one of the best days of my life and shaped a lot of what came after she arrived.  There is never a day that she doesn't make brighter and I have this habit of showing everyone Sweetiepig's picture with Santa Claus, which she gets taken every year.  She is in a lot of ways like a child, but with the benefit of never growing up, not needing nearly the care a child would and always bringing joy into my otherwise dark heart. 

I guess that's the thing about Sweetiepig, she can lighten any day with her presence or darken any page with letters near me with my thoughts and love for this wonderful little creature.  So, the next two weeks will certainly be filled with better, guinea pig laden days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment