Friday, January 10, 2014

Helix

There is something about a television show by Ronald Moore on a Friday night on the Syfy channel which excites me.  Thinking back, I think the first and second seasons of Battlestar Galactica are some of the finest television I've ever watched and I actually enjoyed seasons three and four, which really suffer only in comparison to the first two seasons and a clear lack of plan for the show..  And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was also a favorite of mine, since it did have strong narrative throughout the entire show.

So, I sit here, excited that one, Helix is finally on the air and two, has an extra jaunty theme song.  Also, anytime you start with a two part episode, you seem to be building toward a story arc and the best science fiction always has a story arc.

My one trepidation is the references to how much the show is like Lost in the early trailers.  I liked some of Lost, but the show ran long and trying to watch the entire show in order is difficult, since characters seem to die randomly and plot points move as quickly as time in the show.  However, if the show is half as good as Battlestar Galactica, I will be quite pleased until it is moved to different time slots and ended prematurely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment