Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Look, My Fantasy Premier League Team is Famous!

For the last four years, I've played Fantasy Premier League, after we were introduced to soccer through a former co-worker who was a big fan for many years during World Cup 2010.  He felt we needed to have a league where we would pick players and jaw at each other for 38 gameweeks to get us to watch soccer.  Well, it worked, because four years ago, I never watched soccer, but now it is by far my favorite sport and really the only sport I go out of my way to watch on television. 

Now, in our work league, I am the two-time defending champion after a bad run my first season while I got an understanding of the rules of Fantasy Premier League understood.  I'm also nursing a 35 point lead with eight gameweeks to go and am very excited to be the three-time defending champion in the league, because bragging rights beat everything else in life and lording over people you know in a meaningless competition is one of life's great joys. 

This year, I broke down and sprung the $15 to join the Fantasy Football Scout in order to maintain my edge and win three years in a row.  Sometimes, you just need some additional OPTA statistics, sortable tables and members only articles to enhance your experience.  One of the benefits of being a member was being able to join the Members Cup this year, as a member of the site. 

Well, last week, I strategically played my wild card in advance of a pending double gameweek, where certain teams will play twice, allowing me to get to 22 games played instead of 11.  Having drafted a new team without penalty, I posted an excellent score, which ranked me 12,100 out of over 3,500,000 teams.  In doing so, my team was listed in the Members Cup article this week, as my team was the joint highest scoring team in the league.  I shouldn't enjoy this small piece of insignificant fame as much as I do, but I really do enjoy seeing my team or more correctly my user name of Idiottax in lights...or at least bolded with a hyperlink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment